Go ALL IN with the full-day Pre-Conference Programs! LMA24 offers five exceptional Pre-Conference Programs to take a deep dive into key educational areas as part of the Annual Conference. Whether you're a CMO or an aspiring CMO, newer to legal marketing, focus on business development or you alone are the marketing department, the LMA24 Pre-Conference Programs offer that deeper dive into these areas of interest.
All Pre-Conference Programs are held on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, and require additional registration. When registering you can choose the conference "Bundle," which includes your full conference registration plus one Pre-Conference Program. Pre-Conference Programs can also be added to your registration later. Visit the Registration page for pricing and to register. Also view the detailed, full conference program for all other sessions..
This year's five Pre-Conference Programs include:
All Pre-Conference Programs are subject to change. Times for each program will run within the window of 8:00 am – 4:00 p.m. PT on Wednesday, April 3. The exact timing will be shared in early December.
This program is designed for marketers at all levels or sizes of firms whose roles focus on business development and sales, competitive intelligence, pitches and proposals, nurturing leads, and client feedback and success.
The Business Development function in a law firm is broad and challenging. Part researcher, coach, sales and service, the BD professional needs to understand the firm, professionals, competition and market trends to identify opportunities and build the brand and pipeline while cultivating and strengthening client relationships — sometimes with little access.
This business development pre-conference combines an exploration of big picture themes with a deep dive into the tools and tactics that fuel BD success. A range of interactive workshops, expert panels, and keynotes will cover topics including DEI, pricing and profitability, client service teams and more. By looking at the many facets that influence decisions around legal hiring, we aim to equip BD professionals with strategies to keep the big picture in mind while seizing opportunities to drive the firm’s bottom line in day-to-day efforts. SEE SPEAKERS AND TOPICS COVERED
- Describe strategies to navigate the pressures and priorities law firm BD professionals face today
- Discuss how BD success relies on more than analytics and plans—specifically identify the relationships and resources to fuel your BD victories
- Discover how to spot opportunities to speak up and provoke interest from your lawyers—and even the firm’s clients
- Take actionable tools back to your firms to improve BD functions
Robin Davidson, Head of Business Development and Communications, Boies Schiller Flexner LLP
Matt Plavnick, Director of Client Development, Wheeler Trigg O’Donnell LLP
This program is designed for and available exclusively to full-time in-house CMOs and those in a full-time, first-chair marketing and business development role at a law firm. To ensure a broad experience base, only one participant per firm may register. Space is limited and is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Join your CMO peers and friends for a day of learning, development, and connecting with your community. With a focus on honing executive presence and leadership skills, managing disruption, sharing case studies and celebrating successes, the CMO Summit will allow those of us who are often peerless in our day-to-day work to come together as peers in San Diego.
The Summit will also allow all attendees to build skills and stand out as effective, trustworthy leaders who instill confidence in their workforce. As CMOs, we’re consistently called upon to deliver high-impact results in increasingly uncertain environments. The CMO summit provides immediate insights, guidance, inspiration and the community required to effectively do our jobs today and tomorrow. While it may feel like we are alone on a day-to-day basis, we are not. SEE SPEAKERS AND TOPICS COVERED
- Create community and connection among CMO peers
- Develop and hone persuasive leadership skills and executive presence that promotes strategic governance and adoption within your firm
- Elevate the value of your presence as you navigate the unexpected, influence outcomes, and reach success
- Celebrate success with one another and leave inspired to achieve more
[Though separate from the CMO Pre-Conference Program, there will be a Pre-Event Reception for CMOs, First-Time Attendees and Mentors/Mentees (invitation only).]
Holly Lentz Kleeman, Chief Business Development and Marketing Officer, Fox Rothschild LLP
Terra Liddell, Chief Marketing Officer, Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
Bree Metherall, Chief Marketing & Business Development Officer, Stoel Rives, LLP
This program is designed for marketing professionals from all firms and roles who are particularly interested in new, innovative, and ingenious ways of solving age-old problems. The content is intended for professionals who are responsible for research, development, and technology to keep their firms competitive.
While law firms have traditionally been regarded as slow adopters and resistant to change, they are now compelled to adapt at an extraordinary rate to keep pace with the world around us. This Pre-Conference program will delve into innovation – from ideating and prioritizing solutions to implementation, adoption, and optimization.
Strategic sessions focusing on the innovation landscape will equip marketing leaders with the knowledge and skills to evaluate these advancements and spearhead transformative change. We will distinguish between fleeting trends and meaningful enhancements through examination and experimentation with design thinking, artificial intelligence, data and a fresh look at existing tools. And, because the challenges and opportunities facing law firms are more complex than ever before, we’ll provide real examples of effective collaboration within firms and with service providers to drive change – and how to ensure the new initiatives take root through diligent change management. SEE SPEAKERS AND TOPICS COVERED
- Create a framework for innovation from ideation to continuous improvement
- Identify ways to leverage existing data and resources in new ways
- Develop awareness of new approaches to old problems through innovative processes and tools
- Distinguish between distractions and meaningful opportunities for innovation
- Build consensus through effective collaboration, persuasion, influence, and change management
Kelly Harbour, Chief Business Development Officer, Goulston & Storrs PC
Anne Kunkel, Chief Marketing Officer, Redgrave LLP
Presentations will tie to LMA core competencies within the Body of Knowledge — a foundational resource for professional development in marketing — and will provide practical skills and tools participants can immediately put to use at their own firm. As a bonus, all QuickStart Pre-Conference attendees will receive a complimentary copy of LMA's Body of Knowledge (valued at $149!).
Whether you are an experienced professional that is new to the legal marketing industry, or a junior legal marketing professional with fewer than five years of experience, LMA QuickStart™ is for you! The QuickStart™ program features an all-star group of seasoned legal marketing professionals who will cover all of the critical skills needed to succeed and excel in your career.
Leveraging LMA’s core competencies within the Body of Knowledge, this Pre-Conference program focuses on the Business of Law, Business Development, Client Service, Communications, Marketing Management and Leadership, and Technology. Participants will walk away with skills, tactics and techniques they can immediately implement upon returning to work. PLUS, attendees will have a jump start on networking before the conference kicks off! SEE SPEAKERS AND TOPICS COVERED
- Discuss basic concepts of the business of law and understand how your firm’s performance metrics influence data-driven decisions.
- Gain a better understanding of your role in the law firm structure and how you influence the overall success of your firm.
- Develop strategies to become a trusted advisor for your attorneys by leading with client service.
- Discover tips on how to manage projects effectively, learn what your work style is, and how to give and receive feedback.
Sarah Blanchard, Business Development Manager, Jones Walker LLP
Joseph Edmonds, Practice Development Director, JAMS
Toni Wells, Principal, Bespoke Marketing Partners, LLC
This program is designed for in-house marketers at firms of fewer than 100 attorneys or with two or fewer marketing personnel, as well as anyone who may have to work with limited resources.
Leading and impacting with a shoestring budget, little resources, and small teams requires creativity, resilience, and grit. The LMA Solo/Small Team Pre-Conference program will be an intimate and interactive day for this dynamic and indispensable group of marketers to cover the wide range of skills and competencies they are expected to cover in their broad roles. It will help you lead intentionally, confront challenges, embrace opportunities, and leverage business development tactics that breed success. SEE SPEAKERS AND TOPICS COVERED
- Discover how to help your team and professionals become more strategic in their marketing, communication, and business development efforts with clear goals and plan for success
- Examine creative and unconventional marketing tactics that can generate significant results without breaking the bank
- Discuss networking strategies to help you or your attorneys meet the right people in the right places in a cost-effective way
- Identify cost-effective marketing tools and technologies that solo and small teams can use to enhance their marketing efforts
- Discuss social media marketing strategies for legal professionals
- Evaluate what was learned and discuss an execution plan
Alexandra DeFelice, Director of Marketing and Business Development, Payne & Fears
Shelly Dhingra, Director of Marketing & Business Development, Howie, Sacks & Henry LLP